Kapricious Thoughts are now on Twitter

Scroll to the bottom of the page to interact with my Twitter feed. You can also listen to my "Long Distance Voyager" playlist from Playlist.com.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tuesday Morning's Stream of Consciousness

I like Coldplay, so long as I don't have to actually see them. I wouldn't make a very good Gwyneth Paltrow. But if I were Gwyneth Paltrow, I certainly wouldn't name my child "Apple." Maybe "Peach" or "Kiwi," but not "Apple." 

I do love apple pie. I used to be more of a cake man, but I've recently discovered the virtues of apple pie. With cinnamon. Cake is fluffy. Pie is filling. 

Pi was a really good movie. Darren Aronofsky is one of the most interesting directors to come out of the 90s. I haven't seen The Wrestler yet, but I want to, and I must say that I was surprised to learn Aronofsky directed it, because it seems like such a straightforward thing for him to take on. Surprisingly, any line of thought seems to take me into the movies. 

Mickey Rourke, star of The Wrestler, used to do cocaine. A lot of it. He's past it now and making a comeback with The Wrestler. At the Golden Globes on Sunday night, presenter Seth Rogen, whom you might know from every other comedy to have come out in the past year and a half, made a joke about doing cocaine with him. I like to imagine Mickey went over and sat down next to Seth at his table later that night and stared at him for awhile before saying something like, "I know you think you're a funny kid, but that was a bad @*&$-ing joke." You have to imagine the language being a little colorful, this being Mickey Rourke. And I like to imagine Seth Rogen made a face similar to the one in The Pineapple Express when he witnesses a brutal murder while getting high. 

Speaking of which, I just discovered you can't say "getting high" in a music video on VH1, even, apparently, in a song that's pretty much about being high on life. The song is "Roll On" by Kid Rock, who put out a crackin' good rock record last year, if you take out a couple ridiculously obscene songs. "Amen" is one of the best songs of the year.

I found out in the same video that you apparently can't say "bitch," which surprised me, because everybody on TV says "bitch" every other word nowadays, especially on cable. Guys call women "bitches" all the time on TV, and guys call other guys "sons of bitches," simultaneously pissing each other off and unforgivably bringing each other's mommas into it. But you can't, apparently, use "bitch" as another word for "complain." As a way to demean women, yes, it's perfectly acceptable. But you can't good-naturedly say, "I don't bitch."

And that is officially the most times I've ever used the word "bitch" in a paragraph, up from my previous record of zero.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am definitely up for discussing Bible translations if you want.

Anonymous said...

Well I don't know what's going on. First my blog account tells me I am "not currently following any blogs." Then I visit your blog to correct this, and I see myself listed on your blog's followers. Then I go back to my blog and find that, in fact, I really do follow your blog. Except, it's telling me you posted "5 days ago" things that, when I follow the link to the actual entry, were posted on January 24th, 2008. I am very confused. Are your two similarly named blogs eating each other? Will I die in the process? And why is my verification word "suples"?

Annie said...

Very interesting as usual :)